Temecula, Calif. – Jun 1, 2022 – Jumper competition got underway in exciting fashion to kick off the final week of Nilforushan Equisport Events’ Temecula Valley National Horse Show. The stage was set in the Grand Prix Arena at Galway Downs for the First International Bank of Pasco $5,000 1.35m Welcome Stake where 31 entries tried their hand at the course designed by Anderson Lima. The class format gave each duo the opportunity for an immediate jump off if their first round was clear. In the end, 12 of the 29 pairs bested the first round course and qualified to compete for the blue ribbon. Kristen Holwick and her own, HHA Padden, ultimately found themselves at the top of the podium after besting the competition with a time of 37.437 in their jump off round.
Lima put together a challenging course that saw twelve obstacles, which included five oxers, two double combinations and an over water vertical, with a time allowed of 81 seconds. The jump off round featured seven obstacles, six of which were included in the first round course, and cut the time allowed in half to 43 seconds. Each pair was put to the test with their preparation and technique to move effectively though the track. As Holwick and HHA Padden rode to a win, Hannah Loly and Bisou took second and Mark Kinsella and Blueberry De Breve rounded out the leaderboard in third.
Although HHA Padden is new to the bigger jumping classes, he exhibited a great combination of confidence and maturity for a young horse. With Holwick in the irons, HHA Padden took to the jumps with ease and maneuvered the bending lines efficiently, allowing the duo to emerge victorious amongst a class of veteran competitors. As the third to last entry to take the ring, Holwick and HHA Padden knew the time to beat and used their preparation time to their advantage. The duo will continue to build on this win and set their sights to Saturday for the $50,000 Spruce Meadows National Grand Prix.
Loly and Bisou came in a close second place, tipping the clock at 38.60 in the jump off round, just over a second behind Holwick and HHA Padden. After posting a clear effort in their first round, Loly piloted Bisou with precision and speed in the jump off round. The pair took over the lead just after the midway point and held their position with only three entries remaining.
Kinsella and Blueberry De Breve were the first of the top three to put forth a double clear effort. At the time, the pair was just the fourth to try their hand at the jump off round. After taking a more reserved approach in the first round, Blueberry De Breve guided through the shortened track with speed and finesse, following the commands of Kinsella effortlessly.
A full schedule of jumper competition is slated to continue at Galway Downs in the Grand Prix Arena Thursday, June 2 beginning with the 1.20m Jumper class at 8:00am. The ECS $10,000 1.40m Speed Classic will round out the day scheduled for just after 3:00pm PST.
From the Winner’s Circle
Kristen Holwick – First International Bank of Pasco $5,000 1.35m Welcome Stake
On HHA Padden:
“This will be his second week here. He’s newer to jumping the bigger classes so it’s been fun to actually get to show him and practice at this level.”
On her plan:
“My plan was to ride him forward and set him up well for Saturday where we hope to do well in the $50,000 Spruce Meadows National Grand Prix.”
$5,000 1.35m Welcome Stake, Sponsored by First International Bank of Pasco
Place / Horse / Rider / Country /Owner / R1 Faults | R1 Time / R2 Time | R2 Faults
- HHA Padden / Kristen Holwick / USA / Kristen Holwick / 0 | 74.19 / 0 | 37.43
- Bisou / Hannah Loly / USA / Tres Palomas / 0 / 77.31 / 0 | 38.60
- Blueberry De Breve / Mark Kinsella / IRL / Olivia Combs / 0 / 77.75 / 0 | 39.08
- Cristal De Menardiere / Cassio Rivetti / BRA / Delaney Batter / 0 / 75.06 / 0 | 39.86
- Quatar / Jamie Taylor / USA / JT Equine LLC / 0 / 76.41 / 0 | 40.25
- Chaccala / Michelle Parker / USA / Cross Creek Farms, INC / 0 / 73.51 / 0 | 40.97
- My Love Carthago / Francie Nilforushan / USA / Ali Nilforushan / 0 / 75.93 / 0 | 42.12
- Crunch K / Patrick Seaton / GBR / MKT Investments LLC / 0 | 78.17 / 1 | 43.50
- Caligula LH / Ashley Stannard / USA / Ashbrook Farm LLC / 0 / 80.47 / 2 | 44.64
- Fernando / Cassio Rivetti / BRA / Monarch Farms LLC / 0 | 78.30 / 3 | 45.62
- Siegried 68 / Devi Ferreira / USA / Ixchel Mosley / 0 / 73.89 / 8 | 40.21
- Charly-Ann / Sydney Flashman / USA / Sydney Flashman / 0 | 77.56 / 22 | 60.95