Traverse City, MI. – September 2, 2022 – Santiago Lambre (BRA) knew he had some speed demons following him as first to go in the $37,000 Speed CSI 3*, so he didn’t leave anything to chance. In the first FEI class of the Traverse City Horse Fall Tournament of Champions, he piloted Comtess 202, owned by Mario Oñate, to a blazing-fast finish in 60.84 seconds, a time that no other pair could catch.
Lambre has had the ride aboard Comtess 202, Mario Onate’s 11-year-old Westphalian mare (Comme Il Faut x Pilot), for a year and a half and has already accumulated top placings internationally. Onate purchased the horse from Ludger Beerbaum’s stable and the mare has not disappointed.
Over a track set by Michel Vaillancourt (CAN), 21 entries tried their hand at catching the top spot. The course proved difficult as only seven pairs navigated to clear efforts.
“I was number one with Comtess and I knew I had fast riders behind me,” Lambre said of his strategy going in first. “Sometimes it’s good to go in the beginning and try my best.” His best involved leaving out strides wherever possible and turning tightly around the winding track.
When asked whether he expected someone to catch his time, he said, “Always a chance. Shane Sweetnam (IRL) and Samuel [Parot] are always dangerous, but in the end there weren’t so many clear rounds.” Lambre was correct regarding who he thought might come close, but incorrect about just how fast they would go. Parot (CHI) claimed second and third places with Captain Z and Buga Z, respectively, and Sweetnam (IRL) ended up fourth with Birdy du Thot.
“I love to come here to Traverse City,” Lambre remarked during the first week of his three-week stay at Flintfield horse Park. “It’s beautiful weather and the facility is amazing. They’re improving every year. I’m going to stay three weeks until the [American] Gold Cup and for sure will come back in the future.”
International show jumping resumes Friday with the $37,000 Staller Welcome Stake CSI 3* and concludes with Sunday’s $138,600 Southern Arches Grand Prix CSI 3*.
$37,000 Speed Challenge CSI 3*
1) Santiago Lambre (BRA) & Comtess 202 – 0 – 60.84
2) Samuel Parot (CHI) & Captain Z – 0 – 62.72
3) Samuel Parot (CHI) & Buga Z – 0 – 62.80
4) Shane Sweetnam (IRL) & Birdy Du Thot – 0 – 65.30
5) Lisa Goldman – Smolen (USA) & Ivaro N – 0 – 67.64
6) Samantha Mackenzie (CAN) & Inajottie WB – 0 – 69.90
7) Filip De Wandel (BEL) & Manhattan Van’t Leeuwerikenhonf – 0 – 70.09
8) Lisa Goldman – Smolen (USA) & Sovereign – 4 – 64.16
9) Daniel Bedoya (BOL) & Quimi Del Maset – 4 – 66.20
10) Samuel Parot (CHI) & Chiytal Blue – 4- 68.33
11) Freddie Vazquez (PUR) & Kirschwasser SCF -4 – 69.09
12) Eliza Lehrman (USA) & Sierra – 4 – 69.33
Source: Press Release from Traverse City Horse Shows
Photos: © Andrew Ryback Photography